Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Relief of Trees

When I’m feeling down and mean,
people crawling on my nerves
like spiders hatching in my spleen,
I find some measure of relief
if I take the time to breathe,
lift my sour, bickering head
from the stooping ranks of the living dead,
and contemplate the trees.

Like sentinels of an adjacent world
they watch along the avenues,
or stand in groves in yards or parks,
splendid giants with mighty limbs
like the arms of Titans flexed on high
or dancing nymphs with willowy hips
frozen in a stretch or twist,
inviting my admiring eye
ever upward to their branches’ tips
etched against the boundless sky.

And on the outskirts of my perception
I sense the silence then, the palpitation,
the wordless breath that all things share,
binding us in common peaceful prayer;
and my friends, my relatives, the trees,
welcome me once more into their vivid sphere
where my troubles have no meaning.

1 comment:

  1. Trees save us all from ourselves! A great poem, D! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete